The University District Youth Center (UDYC) is YouthCare’s engagement center located in the University District at 4516 15th Ave NE. In 2016, YouthCare merged services with Catholic Community Services to run UDYC and offer resources to youth experiencing homelessness in the University District. UDYC serves as a safe and welcoming place for young people ages 12-24 through a variety of services during the day.
UDYC’s engagement services include:
- Warm meals for lunch
- Hygiene supplies including showers, laundry, and clothing
- Morning and afternoon drop-in services with activities such as tutoring, yoga, and art.
- Case managers who work with young people to reduce barriers and set goals for long-term housing
- Onsite legal aid offered through the Legal Counsel for Children & Youth
- Onsite mental health and chemical dependency counseling offered through Ryther Center for Children & Youth
UDYC is also home to the Art Hive — a program that is designed to engage youth through the arts. Check out the Art Hive program here!
The Doorway Project is an interdisciplinary partnership between the University of Washington and YouthCare in collaboration with University District service providers. This new project is focused on ending youth and young adult homelessness in our region. Partners are currently exploring a pilot one-stop service model that engages University of Washington students and faculty, service providers, and young people experiencing homelessness in the University District.