South Seattle Shelter is YouthCare’s engagement center located in Rainer Beach on 9416 Rainier Ave S.
Opened in 2015, South Seattle Shelter was originally named “Jackson Street,” in recognition of its first location on South Jackson Street. In the fall of 2018, Jackson Street moved to Columbia City and was co-located with Southeast Youth and Family Services. To accommodate the Seattle-King County Public Health Department’s COVID-19 social distancing guidelines, the shelter will be relocating permanently to a larger building in Rainier Beach in January 2021.
Offering both day and night services, South Seattle Shelter is dedicated to creating an inclusive and culturally responsive community for all young people wanting to take steps in their lives toward permanency and stability.
South Seattle Shelter’s engagement services include:
- Warm meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Hygiene supplies including lockers, showers, laundry, and clothing
- Afternoon drop-in services
- Day shelter beds
- Case managers who work with young people to reduce barriers and set goals for long-term housing
- Onsite mental health counseling through Southeast Youth & Family services and chemical dependency counseling offered through Ryther Center for Children & Youth
- Overnight shelter